The Oman Society for Petroleum Services (OPAL), the umbrella organization of oil and gas producers, contractors, vendors and service providers in the Sultanate, hosted the 2018 edition of its Best Practice Awards at the Crowne Plaza Muscat on Wednesday – a signature, annual event that recognizes innovation, excellence and best practice standards centering around areas of vital importance to the industry.
HE Salim bin Nasser al Aufi, Under-Secretary of the Ministry of Oil & Gas, was the Guest of Honour at the event, which drew a large turnout of CEOs and high-level executives representing market players from across Oman’s hydrocarbon sector.
There was also an insightful talk on innovation strategies for oil and gas companies, presented by Mr. Ahmed Abdulwahab, Founder and CEO Next Arabia, which is a boutique advisory firm that helps corporate companies, government institutions and startups to develop and implement innovative business models.
As many as 20 entries submitted by a total of 11 companies were showcased at the well-attended event. These were classified into four broad categories: Human Capital Development, Technical and Operational Excellence, Health, Safety and Environment, and Small Business Development.
Competing for the coveted awards in their best respective categories were:
- Occidental Oman Inc: The Electrical Submersible Pump (ESP) and Power 2 or (eP2) Behavioral Based Safety (Health, Safety and Development); Al Khazain Development Program (Small Business Development); Steam Generator Fuel Consumption Analytical Tool, Modification to ESP Spooling to Enable Remote Operation and Real Time Heat Index Information System (Technical and Operational Excellence).
- Oman LNG L.L.C: Enhancing HSE Capability of our Local Contractors Small & Medium Entrepreneurs (Small Business Development).
- ORPIC: New Reviewed Policies & more (EVPs) and HRS Talent Management (Human Resources).
- Abraj Energy Services SAOC: Al Majlis Communication Brand (Human Resources).
- Consolidated Contractors Co. Oman LLC: Work Flow Control (Technical and Operational Excellence); Welding School to Train Omani Welders (Human Resources).
- Oman Oil Company Exploration & Production LLC: Oil & Gas Book (Small Business Development); Schmoo Project (Technical and Operational Excellence).
- Daleel Petroleum LLC: Geo Max – Memory Production Logging Tools Services (Small Business Development); Drilling Fluid Optimization Project (Technical and Operational Excellence); Gas Plant (Health, Safety and Development).
- Petroleum Development Oman LLC: The Pit Less Drilling Project (Health, Safety and Development); PRISM Reporting System (Human Resources); Ejaad R&D Tools Box and Communication Hub (Technical and Operational Excellence).
- Shell Development Oman LLC: Rapidly Increasing Energy Demands (Small Business Development).
- ARA Petroleum Oman: Safety Tool Bag (Health, Safety and Development).
- The Oman Construction Company LLC: Sustain Abilities (Technical and Operational Excellence); HSE System (Health, Safety and Development).
Representatives from each of the contestants were given the opportunity to outline the innovative aspects of their initiatives while a panel of judges weighed each of the entries against an agreed set of evaluation criteria.
The evening culminated with Best Practice Awards going to the following companies whose entries were held up as novel, cutting-edge and value-adding in respective categories and the winners are:
- Human capital Development: Petroleum Development Oman LLC best practice in (PRISM Reporting System).
- Health, Safety and Development: Petroleum Development Oman LLC best practice in (The Pit Less Drilling Project).
- Technical and Operational Excellence: Daleel Petroleum LLC best practice in (Drilling Fluid Optimization Project).
- Small Business Development: Shell Development Oman LLC best practice in (Rapidly Increasing Energy Demands).
The 2018 OPAL Best Practice Awards were sponsored by: Occidental Oman Inc, (Platinum Sponsor); Oman Expo LLC, Oman Refineries and Petroleum Industries
, Oman Oil Company Exploration & Production LLC (OOCEP) and Consolidate Contractors Company (Gold Sponsors); and Global Enterprises Fleet Management Systems & Technology LLC and Shell Development Oman (Silver Sponsors).
Congratulating the winners on their success, OPAL Chief Executive Officer Mr. Musallam al Mandhry lauded the participating companies for their enthusiasm and commended them on the high quality of their entries. He noted in particular the rising strength of interest in the Awards which garnered 20 entries this year, up from 12 in 2016.
Al Mandhry also thanked the four-member jury comprising industry veterans Mr. Mohammed Al Kharusi (Intersearch Middle East), Mr. Mark Hobbs (Shaleem Petroleum), Mr. Khalid Ansari (Retired Partner – KPMG), and Mr. Moosa Al Hajri ( Head of HSE in CCED), for extending their time and formidable credentials to the adjudication process.